Last night, instead of going to the gym, I took time and made a list of over 65 things I need to get done, want to get done, want to accomplish.
In the process I discovered a few things that I need to make planning and managing my time efficient.
1. I need to plan with Karlie weekly
2. I need to plan my day before I go to work
3. I need a tool that fits the way I work to keep track of my tasks, schedules, contacts & documents
- It needs to be wholly or partially electronic. I have to much information coming at me to be paper oriented
- It needs to be portable, something I can have with me at all times
- It needs to be connected (able to communicate schedules and tasks with others)
- It needs to help me, not distract me.
I love the tactile aspect of Paper but it's not connected. Because it requires constant updating and is not integrated with processes I need to use with work and school, they are more work than they are worth.
Handhelds & Phones keep me connected and do not require constant updating but are a distraction and are to small to be effective in planning.
Laptops fit all the criteria but are not instant on and require "sit down" time to be truly useful.
Tablets fit the bill but the countless apps & games are hard not to be distracted by.
How do you find balance in your life? I don't want to be a fireman in my own life, running around all day putting out fires. I need to put some time and deep thought into getting back to a place where I am on top of things so I can focus on my weight and still get everything else done.