A few reasons I am uber stoked that I weigh in under 350 pounds?
- It means I have lost 175 pounds so far
- When I go to the doctor's office I can weigh in.
(Don't get me started on how I feel about doctor's offices not going above 350 pounds)
- When I am entering my weight on the elliptical at the gym, I can enter my true weight instead of just holding down the up arrow until it hits 350.
- I won't be tempted by the free burgers my previous weight entitled me to at the Heart Attack Grill.
- It's the lowest weight I was since high school. Let me expand on this one.
After I had enough money I turned in my papers. As is typical for a Mormon kid waiting his mission papers, I would check the mailbox daily. It is common knowledge that the proses of submitting your papers and receiving a mission call is about 6 weeks. 6 weeks came and went and no papers. Then came the phone call.
I remember we were out doing yard work and my Dad said the Steak President (a local church leader) wanted to meet with me. I went with my parents and received the news. "Mike, they want you to try and lose some weight before they issue you a mission call."
My outward reaction was calm. I think I just did a lot of nodding. But inside I was ... "WHAT! How can anyone be to fat, skinny, tall, short, ugly... to serve God?!"
After the initial shock at the request I came to the conclusion that if I really believed what I professed to believe, why would I doubt that I could do what was asked of me. I went to work, lost the weight and was given a call to serve. At the time I left for my mission, I was just under 350 pounds. It was the most fit I ever remember being ... until now.
I am encouraged to keep going and my new short term goal is to have lost 200 pounds by the end of the year. that will put me at 325 pounds. I feel good about this goal as it will keep me accountable and help me push through the tradition I used to follow of packing on the pounds.